Thursday, August 23, 2012

No more "first day of school"


So, I am starting a new job tomorrow.  This day also happens to coincide with the beginning of freshman orientation at WAC.  Now, I know move in day was today, (Thursday) but let’s be honest, most shit starts tomorrow.  Do I feel like this is some sort of sign that my college life and post collegiate life have somehow come full circle?  I want to say no because that sounds douchey, but in a small sense, yes, it feels a little full circle to me.

Four years ago around this time I started some weird adventure where I went to the land the Chesapeake with no idea where I was or who I was.  After four years I found out where I was, and only somewhat who I was (am? Tenses are hard).  I went into college with somewhat of a passion for writing, and left writing a blog and having written no pieces of writing other than an abundance of English essays, History papers, and an occasional lab report.

I used to think I was bad at making friends, but that was actually just because I was a stupid ass in high school.  I’m actually really good at making friends, keeping them maybe not so much, but the ones I have will mostly likely fill my otherwise boring life with amazing stories.  These are not limited to calling and telling me they woke up in a parking garage, or being blackout drunk peeing on a roommate’s entire DVD collection (The parking garage I condone, the destruction of a movie collection I do not).  There are few things I prize more than loyalty, and that goes both ways.  If those morons tell me they need my help hiding a body, you bet your ass I’ll be there with some duct tape (do you need duct tape for that?  I am totally underprepared).  And if they call and tell me we’re doing a reunion at The Bird on some random ass Tuesday night when I have to be on a train at 6:30 the next day, like hell I’m not gonna be there. 

So moving on from that sentimental and weepy crap.  Ok, not really.  I’m sad I’m not moving in this weekend, I’m sad I don’t get to start classes on Monday.  Would I give my twin brother for just one more year?  I want to say no, because most people think it’s wrong to offer up your twin brother, but hell, I’d fucking do it.  I want one more year of hanging out in left field at a baseball game drinking beers hidden in backpacks.  I want one more Friday night where I’m shitfaced by 8.  I want to go to class hungover as hell and smelling like beer on Wednesday at 9:30.  I want another homecoming dance and birthday ball.  I want an Ihouse party circa sophomore year.  I want to call my friends and tell them I don’t know where I am, but they better come find me anyway.

And I know I can want this forever and it’ll never happen.  I’m starting my first real job tomorrow on a Friday (who starts on Fridays?) and I won’t be done by noon and drinking by one (just kidding, I only drank that early on special occasions…).  I’m not scared, because I feel like I’ve done this a hundred times, maybe not in an office, but I’ve had more “first days” than I can count.  Now lets pray I don’t get fired.

No comments:

Post a Comment